Wednesday, December 16, 2009

That's Right!

That's right! I'm stuck in Mexico....well, that's one way to look at it. My husband and I met in the U.S. back in 2004 and he returned to Mexico in 2005 (as per our lawyer's advice) so we could submit the paperwork to get him a visa. His visa was denied (since he had been in the U.S. without a visa) and he now has a 10 year ban! We cannot apply for a visa until the year 2017. After he was banned, we were married in Veracruz, Mexico. We lived apart for 1.5 years (I came to Mexico about every 3 months to visit). We had a beautiful baby girl in 2007 and in June of 2008 my daughter and I moved to Mexico so that we could be a family with my husband.

Living here the past year has been.....hard. That is one adjective that could describe the past few years. I don't think I was as mentally prepared as I thought I was to leave my family and friends and begin a new life here. We own a home in the U.S. that is currently being rented out, while we are back to paying rent here. My husband has no special education (hence the reason he was in the U.S to work) and working FULL TIME here in Mexico City would result in 4,000 pesos per month. That is currently less that 400 USD with the exchange rate. Wow. Daycare here is 2,000 pesos a month, our rent is 4,500 pesos per month, add on utilities, food, doctor's visits, and that 4,000 pesos doesn't go far!

Thank goodnes I am a licensed teacher and can be the sole financial supporter right now. I admire my hubby and am thankful that he gets to be such a huge part of our daughter's life right now. He gets to be with her all day and he does an amazing job with her. We may have to sacrifice right now, but it will pay off in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment